Natural, versatile and sustainable, cork is the bark of Cork Oak Tree (Quercus Suber L.), which means that it is a natural plant tissue with unique properties that allow a wide range of applications:
- Lightweight – more than 50% of the volume is air.
- Elastic, Compressible and Resilient – with “elastic memory”, can adapt to variation in temperature and pressure.
- Impermeable – to liquids but also gases.
- Thermal and Acoustic Insulation – has a low conductivity of heat, sound and vibration.
- Hypoallergenic – it doesn’t absorb dust.
- Resistant to Friction – can absorb shock.
- Fire Retardant – with slow combustibility.
Renewable, Recyclable and Reusable
Soft to the touch, with a slightly sweet odour and with the natural temperature very close to the human body, cork emits a sense of comfort, that make it an excellent material for home, offices or any space or activities. (amorim.pt)
The cork oak is a typical species from the western Mediterranean region. Portugal has 34% of the world’s area, corresponding to 736 thousand hectares. Forest certification is an important mechanism to ensure sustainable management. The Program for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) cover 253 thousand hectares, and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) cover 350 thousand hectares of area. That means that 82% of the Portuguese Cork Oak Forest has the certification. (apcor.pt)